ABRIDGED LIST OF CLASSES, WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS
- Vocal technique seminar – 2,4 or 6 hours
Brenda Earle Stokes is a Level 3 Certified teacher in Somatic Voicework™ The LoVetri Method. In addition, she has extensive post certificate training and has served on the faculty at various vocal seminars.
Somatic Voicework™ The LoVetri Method is a body-based method of vocal training that draws from many disciplines. It is based upon voice science and medicine as well as traditional classical vocal training, complementary modalities such as yoga, movement, dance, acting, and speech training, and various bodywork approaches. The aim of Somatic Voicework™ the LoVetri Method is to unselfconsciously draw the mind of the singer into the physical process of making sound.
Somatic Voicework™ The LoVetri Method allows the voice and body to be partners with the mind. It allows the instrument to handle a variety of tasks with greater ease and less effort.
In addition to all of the above, Somatic Voicework™ is unique in that all of the vocal exercises are focused on function. It is based upon what the voice is doing, not just how the voice sounds.
- Career Development for the Contemporary Musician – 2 hour seminar
Range of topics covered include
- Identifying your skills and goals
- Cultivating a working skill set
- Starting your business
- Setting up a business plan
- Diversifying your business
- Marketing your skills
- Maintaining your artistic life
- Setting and accomplishing long and short term goals
- Composition– 2 hour seminar
- starting points, developing points
- finding your voice as a composer
- Improvisation for the Jazz Vocalist – 2 or 3 hour seminar
- Developing vocabulary based in jazz harmony and rhythmic analysis
- Starting points from transcription of vocal and instrumental solos
- How to structure independent learning and practice
- Masterclass for instrumentalists – 2 or 3 hour masterclass
- Brenda will work with existing ensembles to develop repertoire, arrangements and group performance techniques
- Masterclass for vocalists – 2 or 3 hour masterclass
- Vocalists will perform solos and Brenda will work with each vocalist individually on topics that will benefit the entire group.
- Vocal accompaniment for Rhythm Section players – 2 hour seminar
- Singer-friendly voicings and accompaniments
- How to interface with a vocalist to make him/her sound their best
- Intros and outros
- Songwriting and Composition
- Rhythm Section workout – 2 or 3 hour workshop
- How to assemble groove for the genres most affecting jazz musicians
- Roles and responsibilities of each group member
- How to deepen relationships and communication between instruments
10. Workshops with choirs, large and small ensembles.
- Customizable workshops that will motivate and inspire your students, singers and instrumentalists!
“Thanks again for your Masterclass at the University of Toronto, Brenda. Your positive and forthcoming attitude resonated with the students; I heard lots of great comments from afterwards.”
-Chase Sanborn, University of Toronto (Canada)
“Thank you very much for coming in last week to Mohawk College to perform and interact with our students. I think that they greatly appreciated all the insight and ideas that you had to share with them and I am sure that they gained a lot from the experience. I have had several students already come up to me and express how nice it was to have someone go through important decisions that they will need to make in their lives, and how you having gone through those yourself helped you to be as successful as you are.”
-Jamshed Turel, Mohawk College (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada)